THOMAS C. PLISKE
As a former IRS attorney with over 30 years of tax experience, Mr. Pliske is passionate about the IRS and its Whistleblower Reward Program. In 2006, Mr. Pliske left a 16 year career with the IRS as a Senior Attorney for the Office of Chief Counsel and founded Tax Whistleblower Law Firm, LLC.
Mr. Pliske is committed to providing personal attention to the firm's clients. He feels strongly that clients should be comfortable with their selection of an attorney, especially when involving sensitive matters involving tax and whistleblowing. Mr. Pliske regularly meets with clients and IRS personnel, traveling throughout the United States to provide personalized and discrete service.
As both a tax attorney and a certified public accountant, Mr. Pliske is uniquely qualified to investigate and manage complex tax cases. Utilizing these skills, Mr. Pliske and his associates have successfully filed and managed whistleblower claims, receiving awards under both the I.R.C. §7623(b) and I.R.C. §7623(a) programs.
Principal - Tax Whistleblower Law Firm, LLC (2006-Present)
Mr. Pliske is responsible for the submission of all tax whistleblower claims and whistleblower litigation. Mr. Pliske is in regular contact with personnel of the IRS Whistleblower Office and the clients he represents. He is also on the forefront of tax court litigation in an effort to properly determine the completeness and accuracy of IRS determinations of award. Through these efforts, Mr. Pliske is helping to make the IRS Whistleblower program successful.
Senior Attorney - IRS Office of Chief Counsel (1990-2006)
While employed as an IRS attorney, Mr. Pliske was responsible for litigating hundreds of cases before the U.S. Tax Court. Mr. Pliske has been responsible for over a thousand tax deficiency cases before the U.S. Tax Court. He performed all tasks necessary for preparing an IRS administrative file for litigation, including documenting the file, issuing subpoenas, obtaining certified documents, hiring experts, and ultimately litigating cases before the U.S. Tax Court on behalf of the IRS. Mr. Pliske is well-versed in IRS administrative procedure and has a command of the relevant sections of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), Treasury Regulations, Revenue Rulings, Revenue Procedures, Internal Revenue Manual (IRM), Chief Counsel Directives Manual (CCDM), and other internal procedural guidelines of the IRS
Mr. Pliske's non-litigation responsibilities included:
- Advising the IRS on tax matters;
- Teaching Revenue Agents and Revenue Officers CPE classes;
- Teaching new IRS attorneys in legal matters;
- Issuing legal opinions to the IRS;
- Reviewing IRS files for fraud;
- Reviewing IRS files for purposes of litigation, etc.
Special Assistant to the U.S. Attorney (1992-2006)
- Responsibilities included representing the IRS in the United States Bankruptcy Court.
Becker CPA Review Course (1995-2005)
- Instructor - responsibilities included teaching the Law section to CPA candidates.
Ernst & Young, LLP (formerly Arthur Young & Co.) (1984-1990)
- Tax Manager (CPA/Attorney) - responsibilities included tax planning and tax compliance.
- St. Louis University School of Law (1981 - 1983), Doctor of Law (J.D.)
- George Mason University (1975 - 1978), BS in Accounting
- University of Missouri (1972 - 1974)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 1982
- Attorney, 1984
Speeches and Articles
- Speeches: Tax Conference AICPA (2008), Missouri Bar CLE (2011), several accounting firms, public hearings on proposed (7623) Treasury Regulations.
- Articles: The Asset (Missouri Society of CPA) (2009), The Accountant and the Tax Whistleblower Law Firm
- Regular Contributor to TaxWhistleblowerBlog.com